The University of Tennessee Police Department is an equal opportunity employer. It is the goal of UTPD to attract well-qualified and diverse candidates to serve a very diverse community. In addition to the sworn police officer positions, we have positions for non-sworn in security, communications, and administrative roles.
All applications for UTPD positions are handled through the university’s Human Resources division. Please visit the Human Resources website for details on current employment opportunities, benefits, and more information. You may only apply for open positions through Human Resources. UTPD does not accept applications for regular, benefited positions directly.
- Complete and pass written exam
- Complete Physical Agility Test (sworn only)
- Pass a background investigation
- Panel interviews
- Pass a medical examination
- Pass a psychological examination
- Complete the Police Training Academy (sworn only)
- Complete a Field Training Program
Compensation for Full-Time Benefited Positions
- Longevity pay after three years at $100 per year up to twenty-five-year top-out (i.e.: three years: $300, twenty-five+ years: $2,500)
- Twelve vacation days accrued yearly (one day per month)
- Twelve days of sick leave accrued yearly (one day per month)
- Holiday pay and opportunities for paid overtime
- All uniforms and basic equipment provided
- Tuition paid for Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy (sworn only)
- Salary paid while at academy (sworn only)
- Tuition waiver for you (9 credit hours if classes attended at UT, one class at any Board of Regents school) and tuition benefits for your dependents
- Access to State of Tennessee Employee insurance benefits: Medical, Dental, Life
- Membership in Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System
- 401K available
- A summary of university benefits can be located here
Please click on the appropriate link below for more information on the responsibilities and qualifications of the position.
- Recruitment Brochure
- Police Officer
- Communications Officer
- Community Service Officer
Information about current position availability at UTPD can be located at https://hr.utk.edu/staff-positions.
The UTPD issues personal protective equipment for individuals based upon their assigned duties and responsibilities.
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.