UTPD Recognizes 2020 Partner of the Year Jeff Maples

UTPD Chief Troy Lane honored Jeff Maples, a longtime UT partner for his advocacy and support of the department. Maples received the 2020 UTPD Partner of the Year Award.

Chief Troy Lane with Jeff Maples, recipient of the 2020 UTPD Partner of the Year Award.

The UT Police Department today honored a longtime university partner for his advocacy and support of UTPD.

Chief Troy Lane awarded Jeff Maples the 2020 UTPD Partner of the Year Award. The award featured an honorary UTPD badge and a golden plaque commemorating Maples, who is UT senior associate vice chancellor for finance and administration. Maples oversaw the police department for many years.

The 2020 UTPD Partner of the Year Award with an honorary badge.“This is not just Partner of the Year. It’s more like Partner of the Decade and Century,” Lane said. “When I came to UTPD, we had turnover in my position. I heard there was always someone at UT we as a police department could count on and it was Jeff Maples.”

Lane commended Maples for continually working to secure resources for the department and its employees.

“We want to provide you with a good token of our appreciation,” Lane said of the badge.

Maples, who retires from UT in March after 32 years of service, noted that he championed UTPD because “I felt the most important thing to attract people to the campus was for UTK to feel safe. My goal was for this to be the best campus police department in the U.S.”

Maples’ award was part of UTPD’s Employee of the Year festivities.