UT is committed to enhancing the quality of life of the campus community by integrating the best practices of safety and security with technology. The Department of Physical Security is responsible for designing systems to protect persons and property, protective barriers, access control, locks, intrusion, deterrence, and video surveillance. All requests related to access control, video surveillance and alarm monitoring will be reviewed by the Department of Physical Security to aid in the coordination, standardization, and implementation of physical security infrastructure to enhance the safety and security of the campus community.
The Department of Physical Security is housed under UT Public Safety and includes the director of Physical Security, Central Alarm coordinator and video coordinator positions at the university.
UT Central Alarm is responsible for monitoring the university’s alarm systems. For issues related to basic building access, schedule confirmations and alarm issues, contact Central Alarm at email@example.com or 865-974-0808. Departments are responsible for monitoring fees associated with any equipment on the access control and alarm monitoring systems.
UT Video Surveillance is a critical component of a comprehensive security plan. The use of video surveillance equipment is intended to deter crime and assist in protecting the safety and property of the UT community, including providing investigative leads for past incidents. The university is not liable for incidents that occur in real time as the video surveillance systems do not guarantee live monitoring.
If a department is interested in obtaining video surveillance in their area or an area within the university, they must submit the camera approval form. Departments that obtain approval to add video surveillance equipment will be charged for the installation, storage, and licensing fees associated with any equipment installed related to the individual request.
It is important for the campus community to understand the physical security systems in place. Aspects that will help facilitate the use of these systems at the university include:
- Physical keys must not be used on electronically controlled doors. A valid VolCard credential or schedule should be utilized for proper use and activation.
- All campus community members should have a valid VolCard. Information about these credentials can be found on the VolCard website.
- To request access for a specific building or space, visit Access Management.
- Issues with your card reader or alarm monitoring system should be reported via the Facilities Services work order process.
- If you need an immediate response for a door that is not opening or locking, you must call 865-946-7777 and speak with a Facilities Services representative.
For more information or general inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.