UT is committed to enhancing the quality of life of the campus community by integrating the best practices of safety and security with technology. A critical component of a comprehensive security plan is the utilization of video surveillance equipment. The use of video surveillance equipment is intended to deter crime and assist in protecting the safety and property of the UT community, including investigative leads for past incidents.
The attached procedure addresses one of the university’s safety and security needs while respecting and preserving individual privacy rights in accordance with the university’s core values and state and federal laws. This procedure is adopted to formalize procedures for the installation of video surveillance equipment and the handling, viewing, retention, dissemination, and destruction of video surveillance records. The existence of this procedure does not imply or guarantee that video surveillance equipment will be monitored in real time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. UT assumes no additional liability for campus safety as a result of utilizing video surveillance systems and/or making determinations of when it is/is not monitored in real time.
UTPD, in conjunction with the Surveillance Oversight Committee (SOC), is responsible for implementation of this procedure. UTPD has the authority to select, coordinate, operate, manage, and monitor all campus video surveillance equipment pursuant to this procedure.
SOC is an operational committee established by the Senior Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration to oversee implementation and revisions of this procedure. SOC will be responsible for reviewing and approving or denying all proposals for video surveillance equipment installations recommended by the Chief of Police. SOC also shall propose revisions to this procedure to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration.
SOC shall be comprised of the following members:
- The University of Tennessee Chief of Police or designee, SOC Chair
- Director of Administrative & Support Services (Finance & Administration) or designee
- Assistant Vice Chancellor for Information Technology or designee
- Assistant Director University Housing or designee
- Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities or designee
- Director of Emergency Management or designee
- Director of Athletic Facilities or designee
- Assistant Athletic Director Event Management or designee
- Assistant Director for Facilities Planning or designee