Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Mobile VolCard, Building Access and Classroom Safety Reminders

Physical security barricade switches

Example of UT classroom barricade switch

VolCard, your official university ID, is now digital. We encourage students, faculty and staff to download the card to your mobile device.

Your VolCard is also now your key for entry to buildings.

Physical keys will be discontinued for most Vols. Changes have been made to door hardware and door operation devices. Outdated keys must be turned in to the university Key Shop.

Physical keys must not be used on electronically controlled doors. The doors will be locked or unlocked electronically by schedule or by VolCard activation or VolCard activation.

If your VolCard is lost or stolen, report it to the VolCard Office. You must also report it to Central Alarm at 865-974-0808 so it can be deactivated to prevent an unauthorized person from using it.

Classroom and Residence Hall Safety

 Familiarize yourself with UT physical safety and security measures:

  • How to lock your office or classroom in the event of an emergency.
  • How to use barricade switches to secure your area in case of an emergency.
  • Do not prop open building doors. This is especially important for exterior doors, doors to your residence hall, and doors that are electronically controlled.
  • Keeping doors closed is one way to protect yourself and other Vols. It keeps out suspicious people and others who do not belong there.

Problems or Need Assistance?

To request access for a specific building or space, visit Access Management.

Issues with your card reader or alarm monitoring system should be reported via the Facilities Services work order process.

If you need an immediate response for a door that is not opening or locking, call 865-946-7777 and speak with a Facilities Services representative.

For more information or general inquiries, email