With just a little bit of effort a community disaster can be more of a personal inconvenience to you. Here are a few things you can do to limit the impact of a disaster:
- Download the UT app.
- Know where to shelter and evacuate routes in places you frequent.
- Be informed and know where to get emergency information like building emergency posters and UT Alerts.
- Know how to protect yourself against potential hazards.
- Have a bag ready to go with some water, medications, hygiene items, clothes, cell phone charger, IDs, flashlight, etc. View a more complete list here.
- Have a plan to check in or link-up with friends and family if phones aren’t available. It is recommended to use an out of town relative as the common contact. The UT System Reconnect website offers a way to register and share information during an emergency. You can also choose to make a more detailed plan.
- Register with UTPD if you need evacuation assistance or have medical needs and carry an evacuation assistance card.
The information you can pick up in a half hour of web surfing will be useful the rest of your life. That’s some serious return on investment.