With just a little bit of effort a community disaster can be more of a personal inconvenience to you. Here are a few things you can do to limit the impact of a disaster:
- Download the UT app to receive the Guardian app and the emergency response quick reference app. Register with Guardian app to activate features including anonymous text tip and UT Alert notifications.
- Know where to shelter and evacuate routes in places you frequent.
- Be informed and know where to get emergency information like building emergency posters.
- Know how to protect yourself against potential hazards.
- Have a bag ready to go with some water, medications, hygiene items, clothes, cell phone charger, IDs, flashlight, etc. View a more complete list here.
- Have a plan to check in or link-up with friends and family if phones aren’t available. It is recommended to use an out of town relative as the common contact. The UT System Reconnect website offers a way to register and share information during an emergency. You can also choose to make a more detailed plan.
- Register with UTPD if you need evacuation assistance or have medical needs and carry an evacuation assistance card.
- Fill out a Safety Profile on the Guardian App.
The information you can pick up in a half hour of web surfing will be useful the rest of your life. That’s some serious return on investment.