Emergency management is the public safety discipline that is the lead agency responsible for the collaboration of mitigation, preparedness, response, & recovery from all hazards to build whole community resiliency.
The Office of Emergency Management’s (OEM) primary function is to provide campus level planning, training, and emergency management program coordination and implementation. Coordination includes ensuring proper integration of local, state, and federal efforts.
Training is available at Online@UT (Canvas) and customized training for groups can be requested by contacting the Office of Emergency Management at 974-3061
OEM is represented in the following entities:
- UT System alternate Emergency Services Coordinator to Tennessee Emergency Management Agency
- Local Emergency Planning Committee
- President elect of the Emergency Managers Association of Tennessee
- Members of the International Emergency Managers Association, Emergency Management Accreditation Program, and National Center for Sports Safety and Security.
The OEM is also responsible for providing support, coordination, and guidance to the UT units located in the Knoxville area. This includes establishing the framework that allows for an integrated approach to prevention, preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation by UT units. This is primarily accomplished by providing guidance in the Campus Emergency Management Plan and close coordination with key university response units. The OEM is represented on the following internal entities:
- Emergency Management Steering Committee
- Emergency Management Executive Committee
- Campus Safety Committee
- Campus Notification Committee
- Hazard Mitigation Planning Team
- Surveillance Oversight Committee
- UT Veterans Task Force
The OEM is part of the Public Safety Department.
Director of Emergency Management
Emergency Management Planning Specialist
Citizens and agencies are encouraged to report fraud, waste, or abuse in state and local government.
NOTICE: This agency is a recipient of taxpayer funding. If you observe an agency director or employee engaging in any activity which you consider to be illegal, improper, or wasteful, please call the state comptroller’s toll-free hotline:
Notifications can also be submitted electronically at: http://comptroller.tn.gov/hotline