Be Aware. Make a plan. Respond!
Personal preparedness is as important to our campus resiliency as all of the planning and training conducted by the Office of Emergency Management. Here are some easy steps to help you be prepared during an emergency:
- Know what to do in different types of emergencies: http://safety.utk.edu/ep
- Be aware of your surroundings: Locate building emergency posters, shelters and exits.
- Stay informed and update your mobile number in your UT Alert account.
- Make a communications plan:
- Identify your emergency contact in case of emergency (ICE).
- Keep phone numbers handy.
- Predetermine a local and out-of-area location to reunite with family and friends.
- Text instead of calling when cell phone service is overloaded.
- Use the Reconnect Site during a major disaster.
- Download the Guardian App and fill out the safety profile.
- Have a to-go bag ready with at least some water, medications, hygiene items, clothes, cell phone and charger, IDs, flashlight, etc. View a more complete list here.
Want to learn more? Take the online emergency preparedness training.