Laboratories and shops may contain a number of hazards. Employees and students must receive training before starting any activities in a laboratory setting that could impact their safety. General laboratory safety principles include:
- Reporting all accidents to a supervisor.
- Wearing appropriate clothing.
- Knowing the location and operation of safety showers and eyewashes.
- Labeling all containers of hazardous materials, including hazardous waste.
- Being familiar with the properties of the chemicals used in the lab.
General information about chemical hygiene can be found at http://utk.edu/go/b2.