There are more than 50,000 entries in the UT chemical inventory. Although many of these chemicals are found in research laboratories, some are housed in other buildings on campus. Employees who work with hazardous substances should know the following:
- The hazards associated with the chemicals.
- Acute and chronic health effects of overexposure.
- Methods of protections (e.g. ventilation, gloves).
- What to do in an emergency.
- Proper disposal of the chemicals.
Additional information regarding chemical safety can be found in the safety manual, which is available at http://utk.edu/go/au.
Chemical inventories are due during March each year. There are many safety and compliance programs depend on having an accurate inventory. All departments are encouraged to complete the inventory in a timely manner.