Creating a Resilient Campus
Everyone has a role in the campus effort to be prepared. More importantly, every student, faculty, and staff member is a critical part of the response. The information in this section will help you prepare and respond to life threatening emergencies.
Campus Emergency Management
The Office of Emergency Management is responsible for coordinating the emergency preparation and response of campus. Get more information on campus emergency management programs.
Personal Preparedness Checklist
With just a little bit of effort a community disaster can be more of a personal inconvenience to you. Here are a few things you can do to limit the impact of a disaster:
- Download the UT app at http://www.utk.edu/mobile/ to receive the Guardian app and the emergency response quick reference app. Register with Guardian app to activate features including anonymous text tip and UT Alert notifications.
- Know where to shelter and evacuate routes in places you frequent.
- Be informed and know where to get emergency information like building emergency posters.
- Know how to protect yourself against potential hazards.
- Have a to go bag with at least some water, medications, hygiene items, clothes, cell phone and charger, IDs, flashlight, etc. View a more complete list here.
- Have a plan to check in or link-up with friends and family if phones aren’t available. It is recommended to use an out of town relative as the common contact. The UT System Reconnect website offers a way to register and share information during an emergency. You can also choose to make a more detailed plan.
- Register with UTPD if you need evacuation assistance or have medical needs and carry an evacuation assistance card.
- Fill out a Safety Profile on the Guardian App.
The information you can pick up in a half hour of web surfing will be useful the rest of your life. That’s some serious return on investment.