If severe weather is likely (winter storm, high winds, thunder, lightning, hail, flash floods):
- Postpone outdoor activities.
- Monitor the weather for local conditions.
- Seek appropriate shelter (if there is a thunderstorm, remain there until thirty minutes after the last rumble of thunder).
- Sheds, tents, and covered porches don’t protect from lightning.
- Find a sturdy building or get into a hard topped metal vehicle with the windows closed.
- Do NOT use a corded phone if you hear thunder. Cordless phones and cell phones are safe to use.
- Keep away from electrical equipment, wiring, and water pipes.
- Sensitive electronics should be unplugged.
- Don’t take a bath, shower, or use other plumbing during a thunderstorm.
- Stay away from utility poles, tall trees, and towers during a thunderstorm.
- Avoid high water, storm drains, ditches, ravines, or tunnels.
- Don’t drive through a flooded road. A few inches of water can be deadly.
- If at work, monitor the campus notifications and follow the directions provided.