If there is a pandemic/flu outbreak:
- Monitor UTK updates for information on vaccinations, precautions, and policy/procedure changes that happen from any flu/pandemic outbreaks on campus.
- Key prevention measures include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and warm water—especially before eating and after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand gel.
- Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If a tissue is not available, cough into your shirtsleeve.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread that way.
- Do NOT share your food, drink, or utensils with others.
- Avoiding close contact with sick people. Onset of symptoms can take up to three days after you’ve been exposed to the virus.
- If you become sick, stay home and avoid contact with others until you’ve been symptom-free for twenty-four hours. A mild, lingering cough may occur and, as long as there are no other flu symptoms, this shouldn’t prevent proceeding with your normal activities.