Hazardous Materials Inside
The Knoxville Fire Department is trained and equipped for response to hazardous materials incidents on campus. The safest choice is to evacuate and stay outside the perimeter established by first responders.
If you come across a hazardous material leak or spill indoors:
- If safe to do so, contain the spill.
- Secure the area. Close and lock doors, post signs to keep others out.
- Call 911 if the spill is highly hazardous and requires immediate action. Evacuate to the building assembly point.
- Inform first responders and emergency personnel of the exact location of the spill, as well as the type and amount of materials, if known.
- If you believe you may have been exposed to a hazardous chemical or feel unusual, seek proper medical attention as soon as possible. Remove any clothing that may have been contaminated and start decontamination. Dial 911 to report the symptoms and get guidance on the nearest medical facility appropriate for your treatment.