- Seek shelter under a sturdy desk. If a desk is not available, move into a hallway or stand against an inside wall.
- Do NOT exit the building. Falling materials can be deadly.
- Do NOT run down stairs. Stay clear of windows and heavy appliances.
- If you are outdoors, stay away from buildings, utility lines, trees, bridges, or any other structure that could fall.
- Once the shaking has stopped, exit the building. *Doors may be jammed, so exiting through another means may be necessary. Doors should be left open if possible.
- Report your condition and location to emergency preparedness personnel or some other official. If trapped, bang on something to make noise rather than yelling for help.
- Self-report for tracking
- Attempt to contact your immediate family. (it is good practice to designate a common point of contact that your family & friends know to call)
- Provide information to university officials for rosters upon request.
- Register on the emergency database designed to share information in an emergency at reconnect.utk.edu.
4. If unable to register online, call the university safe line at 865-656-7233 to be added to the database.