Public safety professionals continue to work to make our campus and events safe. However, the best way to stop crime is to have an engaged community that pays attention to their surroundings. If you see something that doesn’t feel right, say something by reporting it. Trust your instincts and share information that seems suspicious or just out of place. Call UTPD or text a tip using Guardian.
Some indicators to look for:
- Individuals in places they don’t belong, acting suspiciously, avoiding eye contact, or departing quickly when seen or approached
- People moving against the flow or loitering for no apparent reason
- Overdressed for the type of weather
- Unusual interest and asking probing questions
- A strong odor coming from a bag or vehicle
- An overloaded vehicle or fluid leaking from a vehicle, other than the engine or gas tank
If you are concerned about the behavior of someone you know, call 974-HELP (4357) for students or 946-CARE (2273) for faculty and staff. These resources work to provide UT community members with the assistance they need during times of crisis.