Holiday decorations may be visually appealing, but they also increase your risk for a fire.
As you deck the halls this season, follow these tips from the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) to prevent serious electrical and fire hazards:
- Check light sets for frayed or damaged wiring before using;
- Connect no more than three mini light sets for decorating;
- Keep your tree at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles or heat vents;
- If you have a live tree, remember to add water to the tree stand daily; and
- Always turn off holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed.