With just a little bit of effort a community disaster can be more of a personal inconvenience to you. Here are a few things you can do to limit the impact of a disaster:
- Download the UT app at http://www.utk.edu/mobile/ to receive the Guardian app and the emergency response quick reference app. Register with Guardian app to activate features including anonymous text tip and UT Alert notifications.
- Know where to shelter and evacuate in places you frequent.
- Be informed and know where to get emergency information.
- Know how to protect yourself against potential hazards.
- Have a to go bag with at least some water, medications, hygiene items, clothes, cell phone and charger, IDs, flashlight, etc. View a more complete list here. The VolShop offers a individual preparedness kit for your convenience.
- Have a plan to check in or link-up with friends and family if phones aren’t available. It is recommended to use an out of town relative as the common contact. Red Cross Safe and Well website offers a way to register during an emergency. You can also choose to make a more detailed plan.
- Register with UTPD if you have evacuation or medical needs and carry an evacuation assistance card.
The information you can pick up in a half hour of web surfing will be useful the rest of your life. That’s some serious return on investment.